Drugs and society
Drug use and substance abuse is an obvious and prevalent feature of contemporary society and is a cause of concern in view of its psychosocial, economical and legal impact on individuals and society, and its connectedness with crime.
Course learning outcomes
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- identify and critically discuss the range of concepts and explanations from the criminological and sociological perspectives in the understanding of drugs and drug-using behaviour.
- appreciate the conceptualization and measurement of drug use.
- critically discuss the impact of drugs on the individual and society.
- demonstrate understanding of the relationships between drugs and crime.
- able to comprehend the treatment modalities in redressing drug use.
- demonstrate the ability to analyze issues in the regulation of drug use.
|Individual writing assignments / portfolios||40%|
|Group project (presentation & report)||40%|
Journal articles, monographs and reports