Number 1 in Hong Kong: HKU Sociology university rankings
While all university league tables are inherently problematic, our results reflect a steady improvement in the quality of both our teaching and research, confirming our position as a leading sociology department in Hong Kong, Asia and the world.
QS World University Rankings by subject – sociology
- 2021: 1st in Hong Kong, 4th in Asia, 28th in world.
- 2020: 1st in Hong Kong, 4th in Asia, 28th in world.
- 2019: 1st in Hong Kong, 4th in Asia, 27th in world.
- 2018: 1st in Hong Kong, 4th in Asia, 29th in world.
- 2017: 1st in Hong Kong, 4th in Asia, 31st in world.
- 2016: 1st in Hong Kong, 3rd in Asia, 28th in world.
- 2015: 2nd in Hong Kong, 6th in Asia, 37th in world.
- 2014: 1st in Hong Kong, 4th in Asia, 41st in world.
- 2013: 2nd in Hong Kong, 3rd in Asia, 40th in world.
Hong Kong Research Assessment Exercise 2014
- Ranked number 1 in Hong Kong for 4* (i.e. ‘world leading’) research outputs in sociology/anthropology in the most recent RAE by the University Grants Committee.
However, we would stress that the impact of our teaching and research goes far beyond quantifiable figures. Browse our programmes and courses to see comments from our students on how we have transformed their understanding of society and the world.