Media & Cultural Studies
Media & Cultural Studies Major/Minor
The programme seeks to nurture students to become knowledgeable, critical and caring users and producers of media and culture. The flexible programme structure draws on a wide range of related courses from the social sciences and humanities. This programme is particularly ideal if you:
- wish to learn more about the concepts behind the world of media and culture
- want to work in creative industry, media and cultural organizations
- intend to pursue research studies in media and cultural studies
It aims to:
- provide you with multi-disciplinary knowledge in the operation of the media and the state of culture;
- enhance your critical understanding of the world of media and culture by exposing them to historical and comparative analyses of the subject; and
- engage students in critical evaluation of media and culture studies in globalization and their impacts on social life in different regional contexts.
General applications enquiry
Ms Wu, Tina P S
Tel: +852 3917 2050 / +852 3917 4320
This programme was both stimulating and engaging, and equipped me with knowledge essential for my future academic and career pursuits.— Heather, 3rd year Media & Cultural Studies
The internship allowed me to work in a media company, have some first-hand experience and apply key sociological concepts to understand the media.— Kenny, Alumnus of Media & Cultural Studies
SOCI2080 (2nd semester)
Media and culture in modern societies
SOCI2081 (2nd semester)
Sexuality, culture and identity
Final year (compulsory)
Use our course finder to browse all our undergraduate introductory and advanced courses.
Courses shown above are for illustration only, assuming major study mode. Actual course requirements vary depending on year of admission, home faculty and major/minor programme selected. Please check the relevant regulations for BSocSc students (or your own faculty) for definitive information on course eligibility.
- BSocSc students typically declare their major at the end of their first year of study.
- Students from other faculties should consult their own faculty for information on when to declare a major/minor.
Considering a major/minor in Media & Cultural Studies? Fill in this form to arrange to speak with an admissions advisor.